|Location 16: St Vincents Home|
|St Vincent's Orphanage, Nudgee Orphanage, or, as it became known, St Vincent's Home for Children, is one of the oldest establishments in the district.|
In 1867, the Sisters established the Orphanage at Nudgee on 3,500 acres of land purchased freehold by Bishop Quinn. Forty-seven children were admitted on 11 November 1867, and during St Vincent's first century, 10,500 children found a home in the orphanage.
The first convent was blessed and opened on 2nd January 1885 and extensions were added on 11th May 1915. On 5th December 1905, a cyclone destroyed a number of St Vincent's buildings and unroofed others.
Today, the former St Vincents Home is still owned and run by the Catholic Church. However its purpose has changed from being a place for children to one for aged residents.
|Girls dormitory (top floor) and refectory below.|